Thursday, November 1, 2012

This just in: Politicians are crooked... oh wait, that's not news

I'd like to compare two different conversations that involve asking for a raise, and let's see if you can spot the differences:
Conversation #1
Me:     Hi Boss, can I have a raise?
Boss:   No.
Me:     Oh, okay. Guess I'll get back to work.
Conversation #2Politician #1:  Hey, can I have a raise?
Politician #1:  Why yes, sure I can! How much would I like?
Politician #1:  I'm thinking around $12,000?
Politician #1:  Sounds reasonable to me! But let's spin it so it doesn't sound like a raise.
Politician #1:  What raise? <wink wink>

No, that's not a typo. Alberta politicians are once again deciding for themselves if and how much of a raise they will be getting.  I won't get into all the specifics of it, as they make it a little confusing, but the gist is that the taxpayer will be giving Alberta MLAs over $23,000 next year for their RRSP contribution, double what it is currently.

A big part of their defense is that they need good pay and benefits to attract the best people for the job.  What a load of you-know-what.  Have they ever met a teacher?  Teachers are the people who educate and shape the minds of our future, and they don't get paid half of what politicians make.  The reason we still have good teachers?  Because they aren't in it for the money, they do it because they want to make a difference!  I believe that if we actually lower the salaries of politicians, we will get more people running for office because they feel they can do some good.  As it stands, only people with money can afford to run for politics and win, and to them it becomes an investment.
"Hmmm, I could spend $50,000 on a campaign, get some of my rich friends to kick in some bucks, and I'll make over $150,000 per year plus some kick-ass benefits! That's more than 300% return on my investment, why didn't I do this sooner?"
The problem with the system seems obvious.  I say we cut their salaries and attract some people for office who actually want to do some work and effect change for the better in society, rather than trying to line their own wallets and pad their bank accounts.  If anyone has any doubts, look at Naheed Nenshi as an example, because not that long ago, he was a teacher himself and look what he has accomplished already.

No comments:

Post a Comment