Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What Lies Beneath


What Lies Beneath


Not many people, regardless of their religious followings, realize the impact religion and religious pilgrimage has on the economy. Religious pilgrimage is an estimated eight billion dollar marketplace annually. For all those who assume religion is solely a spiritual quest, you are sadly mistaken. This form of religion (religious pilgrimage) fuels many economies around the world, including San Giovanni, Italy (Saint Padre's Pilgrimage Site). In the early 2000's pilgrimage brought the town approximately 56.8 million in revenue. (Religious Sojourns fuel multi-billion dollar business- Holly Ellyatt) This revenue includes tourism and merchandise sales. Branding and advertising have also become a major factor in modern day religion.

It is becoming less and less about the spiritual journey and more about the publicity and potential for economic gain. I have never been one for religion and all its undoing's, but in realizing that they turn such a large profit only dampens my already dim outlook on the matter. On the upside, the economic outcome is substantial and religious pilgrimage is a much needed boost to a fading global economy. In 2011 the Vatican City State enjoyed a profit of over 22 million. One cannot help but wonder, where does all this capital go? Surely some is used to promote the church and gain a larger following, "Spreading the word of God," as some call it. Who knew "spreading the word" could cost 22 million annually. Throughout history people, priests, and scholars alike have used religion and "teaching's of the bible" as justification for war, genocide, and utter inhumanity. But since I can recall, this is the first time they have used it to turn a profit, and a substantial one at that. 









1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with your "dim outlook" on the way religion is run these days. As I agree it has begun to look more and more like business. It seems odd to me to have religions advertising on tv and even television services. Clearly the money which you reference in your blog goes towards such activities and I must agree and can hardly see the need for churches to be bringing in such large amounts of money. The only positive side I can see to religion turning such profit is the amount I know they do give back. Although I don't know the percentages and I imagine it's less then my optimism would like I know many religions do put money and services back into helping others.

    ReplyDelete